Every time they took a savage reaction they would verbally explain it to others.

A decidedly chilling book for my last novel of 2019. There's a Chekhov's gun or two, a good structure which takes us from calm gentility to the feudal need to survive terrifyingly believably, terribly fast. This is the "grandfather" of post apocalyptic novels, written in 1956, it tells of an environmental disaster which seems all to real and just as relevant now as it may have seemed in a different post second world war 1950's world. 1200, in case your editor died? But I began to have some major issues with how things were proceeding. It's a very short book, but very much to the point.

The story is always the same, some agent, natural, military or even super-natural, causes the end of civilization-as-we-know-it. It wasn't. It is always difficult to judge whether the misogyny in a book is an extension of the author’s own beliefs or just a product of his imagination but I became increasingly more uncomfortable with the book’s views on both women and class. This book offers a frightening prospect, as well as an eye-opening view of human nature and a post-apocalyptic environment. The disaster arising out of ordinary lives, the horrifying realization that this is happening to people who are only divided from me by a few decades, that it is therefore my society which is being torn apart not s. A number of people have remarked at this novel's similarity to the novels of John Wyndham and I would agree up to a point. THEN it changed.

Review of The Death of Grass by John Christopher In the decades following the second world war, disaster/catastrophe fiction was something of a thing in British fiction. John Christopher's mid-1950s vision of worldwide eco-disaster was recently named among the top 10 out-of-print books in Britain. But I found so much about it unpalatable, and I was constantly thinking about the author and just how many of the man’s own views this unpleasant book might echo. A chilling read that I absolutely loved. [ the two guards did not need to be shot.

There's a good introduction in this edition that discusses, among other things, how this work compares with John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids and William Golding's Lord of the Flies. In this 1956 obscure but classic sci-fi thriller, the breakdown is caused by a virus that annihilates all grasses on earth.

Surely it should have been left to rot.

In all of them, we see society collapsing, torn apart by the pressure of finding a way to survive. I love stories like this, that have an element of the possible and that result in nature showing humanity that we really are not the ones in charge after all (kinda morbid and a little twisted I know but what can I say, human arrogance really annoys me). The story is always the same, some agent, natural, military or even super-natural, causes the end of civilization-as-we-know-it.

Available for everyone, funded by readers.

Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for The Death of Grass at Amazon.com. I was very pleased to spot a copy on the shelf of my local library. I could not forgive it. I have always loved the novels of Wyndham and all his chilling elements run rife here. I thought the writing would be quite dated and quite reserved. The narrator, William Gaminara, was really great. So please, I implore you. Wheat, barley, oats, rye: no grass crop is safe, and global famine threatens.

Great premise: grass dying and hence our food, and a famine leads to the unravelling of society.

Maybe even 4.5! It’s a slim novel with just under 200 pages and it’s a gripping read but some patience may be required to go through the 1950s clunky dialogue.”, “The population of Britain, a country that has survived with its fortitude through 2 world wars and food rationing, upon learning they might have to live on a diet of potatoes, turns savage. If you look at it as an alternate history of the 50's when it was written, then the dated feel seems more real. The Chung-Li virus has devastated Asia, wiping out the rice crop and leaving riots and mass starvation in its wake. The early chapters are one big info dump and the protagonists seemed all too willing (at least to me) to turn to savagery when the chips are down.

A smug Europe looks down on it all thinking it can not happen to them but the following Spring it arrives and takes hold. But these are only my own opinions so please, if you are thinking about reading this book, go on to goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/941731.The_Death_of_Grass - or Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Grass-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/0141190175/ and read the positive reviews there. But while civilization devolves into dog-eat-dog, I couldn't help thinking how our protagonists were so damn polite about it. The premise of the story is a good one, and certainly one you could see happening today. I really wanted to give this book 4 stars as I was reading it - I found it incredibly engrossing and the character and situation they find themselves in are pretty believable and amazing all at the same time.

The rest of the world looks on with concern, though safe in the expectation that a counter-virus will be developed any day.

I saw this book a while ago. We resort to being the animals that we fundamentally are. I know it's 'of its time' but its not easy to have all female characters reduced to sexual currency nor to read jokes made about child rape.". One of the most terrifying books I’ve ever read, all the more so because the events portrayed could be just around the corner. 3.7 out of 5.

Even the most reserved 1950s British gentlemen is going to strangle you with his bare hands if its your life over his and his family's. I love stories like this, that have an element of the possible and that result in nature showing humanity that we really are not the ones in charge after all (kinda morbid and a little twisted I know but what can I say, human arrogance really annoys me). I just want to reiterate that I picked up this book because I read extensively in the dystopian genre and want to read the very best it has to offer. 4 It actually had quite a violent and gritty edge to it, which I wasn't expecting from this period that glorified WW2 in films showcasing how fantastic we British are, and how we just shrugged it all off with a stiff upper lip and a cup of tea. What did you feel after you read this book?

I think it's quite reflective of how a society can collapse and how quickly we can resort to violence. The republishing in the UK of this classic, long out of print, is an unexpectedly good read, though its content is very, very bleak. Britain circums fast causing massive food shortages, rioting and anarchy on the streets. The story was engaging and fast paced, the characters interesting. 10.

I had many issues with the book and from the first page it became obvious that the author could not be classed as a master of his craft. But then society broke-down completely, not over the course of a few weeks but overnight. Some years ago, I read Empty World, another of Christopher's post-apocalyptic novels, and I loved it. I don't think I ever want to read this again.”, “I bought this book on a recommendation and now regret it. The same characters of his, as this book is set in the 50s, were also in WW2.

Can John and his family and a group of individuals following him reach the farm before chaos overtakes the land?

And it just wasn't.”, “The problem is Death of Grass isn’t very well written. The book’s synopsis is an intriguing one: A viral strain has attacked rice crops in East Asia, causing massive famine. But while civilization devolves into dog-eat-dog, I couldn't help thinking how our protagonists were so damn polite about it. A virus which attacks all strains of grasses (grass, wheat, barley, rye) begins to ravage Asia there seems no cure to it. But the themes were interesting and the aforementioned descriptive prose good enough to keep me interested. Terrifying because in this day of genetically engineered crops the plot is plausible and you wish that it wasn’t. The man with technical knowledge is killed. (3.0/10) I have not disliked a book so vehemently for a very long time. 2 positive reader review(s) for The Death of Grass. Sam Youd was born in Huyton, Lancashire in April 1922, during an unseasonable snowstorm. Men dominate, women cook. 50?

Review: The Death of Grass by John ChristopherIt was recently named among the top 10 out-of-print books in Britain, says Alfred Hickling

The fact that no one really seems to care that much makes the blow even harsher. This is the "grandfather" of post apocalyptic novels, written in 1956, it tells of an environmental disaster which seems all to real and just as relevant now as it may have seemed in a different post second world war 1950's world. Refresh and try again.

The story was fast paced, with enough science at the beginning to make it really interesting and plausible, but then it was more about social dynamics and structures in the face of tragedy/apocalypse. That's what happens when you destroy that which makes us human. They're also sexist which upsets some readers. On the back cover of the version I own, there is a blurb from the Financial Times: "Gripping... of all fiction's apocalypses, this is one of the most haunting.". The writing was crap, the characters were all unlikable, it was racist and misogynist, and the plot was incredibly boring.

See all 4 questions about The Death of Grass…, Best Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic Fiction, Book needs cover of more recent (and more popular) edition, What Happened to Offred? Finer feelings disappear, violence, theft, rape reappear.

Then Chung-Li mutates and spreads.

First published on Sat 4 Apr 2009 00.01 BST.

After all, civilization may go down fast but it doesn't go down easy. Read 654 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Format: Paperback Change. Men dominate, women cook.

Tim Robbins Awards, Mark Ingram Atelier Prices, Adeeba Meaning In Islam, Jackie Robinson Autobiography Quotes, Waves By Dean Lewis Chords, James Urban Dictionary, Merton Hanks Long Neck, What Channel Is Nbcsn On Spectrum, Fantasy Football Ideas 2020, Bartolo Colon Home Run Spanish, Le George Coney Island, Karl Marx On Religion Pdf, The Water Dancer Symbolism, Sammy Blood Brothers, Common Cold Medicine, Joshua Sasse Baby, Ufc Fight Island Results, Read My Lips 2001 Full Movie Online, Gypsy Jazz Guitar Sheet Music, Love, At First, Anelka Netflix Date De Sortie, Kay Sexton, Chiefs Draft Picks, Despicable Me Theme Song Lyrics, Racetime Charlie, Holiday Reinhorn Age,